Kuala Lumpur, May 20, 2008 - (ACN Newswire) - The Association of the Computer and Multimedia Industry of Malaysia, PIKOM, the umbrella body for the local information and communications industry, has played a vital role in setting the stage for local companies to tap into the global market during the 16th World Congress on Information Technology 2008.
The activities organised by PIKOM during WCIT 2008 has proven to be successful in enabling local ICT players to not only sign deals with foreign companies but also build bridges of opportunities for future alliances. Among these activities include PIKOM PS3 (pronounced as PS cube), PIKOM PC Fair International, several dialogue sessions with major economies and networking sessions.
These events have helped further promote the local ICT industry and provide opportunities for local businesses to network with global players.
PIKOM undertook the initiative to organise these events to propel Malaysian trade competitiveness to a global level and impart valuable knowledge to local companies. The objective was to create business opportunities that can help local companies advance and strengthen our economy.
This is part of a larger plan to create a sustainable pool of globally recognised professionals, create thousands of new jobs and increase revenues from ICT service exports.
PIKOM believes its activities during WCIT will go a long way in assisting the ICT industry to make a more significant contribution to the country’s growth.
In spite of the impending global economic crisis, PIKOM remains optimistic that the ICT industry will continue to be an engine of growth for the nation. And PIKOM will continue to play a pivotal role to stimulate business opportunities for local ICT companies, as well as enrich the society at large. PIKOM expects that the ICT industry will contribute up to 15 per cent of the country's GDP by 2012, amounting to RM80 billion. Currently, the industry contributes about 7 per cent.
The local ICT spending in 2007 was worth about RM40 billion and is forecasted to grow by 12 per cent to reach RM44.5 billion in 2008.
PIKOM estimates WCIT 2008 to generate more than US$100mil (RM330mil) worth of foreign direct investments to the country.
I. PS3 (19 -21 May)
The three-day PIKOM PS3 which is being held at the KL Convention Centre, covers 441 square metres of booth space. The aim of this event is to promote the software and services industry in Malaysia and increase the rate of ICT exposure among the business community.
A total of 228 local and foreign exhibitors are present at the exhibition showcasing innovative software and services that are ahead of their times. Among the 28 local companies taking part in the showcase are:
- Dibena Smart ID Sdn Bhd
- CIMB Investment Bank Sdn Bhd
- Century Software (M) Sdn Bhd
- Avic Tech Corporation Sdn Bhd
- Software Wizards (M) Sdn Bhd
- Extol MSC Berhad
- Pentacle Sdn Bhd
- Commerce Dot com
- BDO Consulting
- Webvisions Network Services Sdn Bhd
- Trans Niaga Sdn Bhd
- Dbora Consulting Sdn Bhd
- e-Lock Corporation Sdn Bhd
- Embarcadero Technologies
- Paradigm Systems Berhad
- Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT)
- Careware Systems Sdn Bhd
- Plato System Consulting Sdn Bhd
- Finsoft Systems Sdn Bhd
- Mastek MSC Sdn Bhd
- Datamation (M) Sdn Bhd
- High Point Asia Co Ltd
- Celframe Solutions Sdn Bhd
- In-Fusion Solution Sdn Bhd
- Touchpaper Software Plc
- Info Spec Sdn Bhd
- Global Knowledge Partnership (GKP)
The event has augured well for Malaysian companies who were able to show the world their breakthrough ICT products and services. It has provided high visibility and profile for participating exhibitors, their software and services.
More than a platform to promote their businesses, PS3 has proven to be a valuable arena for business matchmaking, making it easier for companies to find suitable business partners.
As envisioned, PS3 captured the attention of more than 50,000 entrepreneurs and chief-level executives who are participating in WCIT 2008. Visitors were able to evaluate and screen specific corporate ICT software solutions or services that deliver market advantages.
" random survey on delegates looking for business-to-business trade opportunities during PS3 showed that they were excited about the vast opportunities present for business matchmaking," says Stan Singh, Organising Chair of PS3 and Councillor of PIKOM. "The survey also indicated that first time local exhibitors were impressed with the extensive exhibition layout and delighted with the interest shown for their products and services."
"There has been an overall positive response about the showcase. Delegates and exhibitors were pleased with the win win business opportunities," adds Stan Singh.
PIKOM is confident that the business-to-business opportunities during PS3 will translate into significant long term advantages for local companies. This will help fuel growth for the ICT industry, as well as increase its contribution to the national productivity.
II. PC Fair International 2008 (18 - 21 May)
A total of 27 exhibitors are taking part in this special edition of the PC Fair. The event is being held at Hall 1, KL Convention Centre. The exhibition hall covers up to a total of 504 square metres of booth space.
PC Fair International 2008 is an exciting cash-and-carry exhibition which offers ICT hardware and software bargains for delegates, business visitors and general public during their visit to WCIT 2008.
The focus of the fair is on mobility products highlighting mobile digital computing lifestyles. An extensive array of products are being showcased at this event, among which is the world's smallest A4 colour duplex scanner, the Fujitsu ScanSnap S300.
PC enthusiasts, bargain hunters and shoppers at the Fair have also benefitted from special offers by exhibitors. Digital camera enthusiasts, for instance, were able to purchase cameras at special rates at the i East Ocean e-Imaging booth.
Other Plenary Meetings and Dialogues
1. The World Information Technology and Services Alliance (WITSA) Annual General Meeting was held from 17-18th May in Kuala Lumpur. During the meeting, PIKOM was elected to host the World Information and Services Alliances (WITSA) Secretariat for 2008 -2010. The WITSA Secretariat was previously hosted by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA). Mr. Dan E Khoo, advisor to PIKOM was elected as the new WITSA Chairman.
2. Asian-Oceanian Computing Industry Organization (ASOCIO) Plenary Meeting on 22th May.
3. A dialogue session with Mr Terry Thoren, the CEO of Rocket Fish Studios took place on 19th May. Mr Thoren is an entertainment industry veteran who has vast knowledge on issues relating to creative content, animation and new media. During this session Thoren shared his personal experience in the creative industry, as well as his thoughts about the future direction of the industry. Members from the local multimedia and content business were able to gather valuable information from the session.
4. A dialogue session with Dato' Dr. Craig R. Barrett, the Chairman of Intel Corporation was held on 19th May. The session among others discussed PC literacy, PC penetration, broadband penetration and challenges of Digital Divide faced by Malaysia. Key initiatives were outlined during the session to bridge the Digital Divide in the country.
5. An exclusive dialogue on Shared Services and Outsourcing (SSO) will take place on 20th May. The session will have Michael F. Corbett, the Chairman of the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (AIOP) and Ganesh Natarajan, Chairman of the National Association of Software and Service Companies (Nasscom), sharing their views on the best practices in SSO. The dialogue session will also discuss challenges faced by the local SSO industry and ways to accelerate SSO revenues for Malaysia.
6. The PIKOM-Korea ICT Business Forum will be organised on 20th May. Organised jointly by PIKOM and Korea International IT Cooperation Agency (KIICA), the forum which will include a networking dinner will have a total 15 companies from Korea participating. The forum will discuss the ICT trends in Korea and Malaysia, as well as the ICT business market place.
7. The China Dialogue Session will be held on 20th May. The business forum and networking session will discuss the ICT business opportunities in both the countries and introduce Chinese companies interested to venture into Malaysia. 11 companies from China are expected to take part in this dialogue session. Memorandum of Collaboration are planned to be signed to strengthen the relations between PIKOM and its Chinese counterparts for future business facilitations.
8. Projek M.A.IN PC Launch
PIKOM launched its CSR programme, Projek M.A.IN PC or Projek Menguasai Applikasi INternet dan PC on 19th May. This programme aims to increase community PC centres nation-wide especially in small towns and rural areas, and to extend support services to existing PC centres. This is the ICT industry’s initiative to increase and improve the IT lite racy rate among Malaysians from all walks of life in bridging the digital divide.
9. MP3plus (The IT Industry Rock Band)
MP3plus, the 7-piece band which is sponsored by PIKOM and formed by its members, performed at the Opening Gambit of WCIT 2008. The band will also play for the Dance Party during the Gala Dinner on 20th May.
MP3plus was formed in 2001 and since then has performed at more than 50 ICT related functions as well as fund raising events for charities. It is a versatile group with a repertoire of more than 250 songs covering different genre and languages from the 60s to the latest hits.
"MP" stands for Members of PIKOM and "3" because it started with three founding members, viz. Harres Tan (Band Manager & Vocalist), of HT Consulting, Stan Singh (Drum & Bass) of Mui.dot.com Sdn Bhd and Christopher Chan (Keyboard) of TMS Bhd. The "plus" was added when current members viz. Woon Ching Ming (Guitar) of Symantec, Gerry Pillai (Lead Guitar) of iContent Sdn Bhd, Nantha Kumar (Lead Vocal) of BasisBay and Robert Chua (Bass) of iLab joined the band.
PIKOM, the Association of Computer and Multimedia Industry of Malaysia is the association that represents the ICT industry in Malaysia since its inception in 1987. PIKOM with 838 member companies provides a whole spectrum of ICT products and services, which commands about 80 per cent of the total ICT industry in Malaysia.
PIKOM Corporate Communications Manager
T : +603-7955 2922
F : +603-7955 2933
M : +6012-659 6025
W : http://www.pikom.org.my/
May 20, 2008
Topic: Corporate Announcement
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2013 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.