|Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 11:43 HKT/SGT|
TOKYO, Nov 25, 2015 - (JCN Newswire) - Lexus today launched the performance-oriented GS F four-door sports sedan at dealers throughout Japan. The GS F embodies the philosophy of the "F" series: that seamless performance-from everyday roads to the track-can be enjoyed by everyone.
The GS F is the first new F series sedan model in the Lexus line-up since the launch of the IS F in 20071. With a style eminently suited to everyday driving, the four-door GS F sedan is expected to convey the appeal of the F series to a wide demographic, thus enabling Lexus to further enhance its brand image of exhilarating performance.
The GS F is based on the partially revamped GS model that is being launched simultaneously, and boasts outstanding performance: the 5.0-liter V8 engine features enhanced response and engine-revolution smoothness, while chassis stiffness has been improved through cutting-edge technologies such as laser screw welding. Furthermore, the vehicle comes equipped with a variety of features as standard to ensure both excellent driving stability and an enjoyable ride, including Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD), Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) that incorporates an Expert Mode, and an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) that utilizes vertical acceleration sensors.
The interior and exterior of the GS F fuse a breathtaking simplicity and elegance of design, and captures the mature, luxurious sportiness unique to the F series. In addition, the vehicle utilizes the Lexus Safety System + active safety package to provide a multi-faceted approach to active safety, further enhancing the safety and peace of mind of its occupants.
The new GS F is priced at 11 million yen (including consumption tax)2.
GS F key features
A high-performance powertrain that emphasizes sound, dynamic response, and acceleration
- Equipped with Direct Injection 4-stroke Gasoline Engine Superior Version (D-4S), the 5.0-liter V8 engine features an optimized Variable Valve Timing-intelligent by Electric motor (VVT-iE) to produce exceptional power. After assembly, the balance of each engine while running is adjusted, further enhancing the linear power and superior response that are characteristic of a naturally aspirated engine. In addition, the Atkinson cycle can be used for urban driving to improve fuel efficiency and environmental performance.
- The 8-speed Sport Direct Shift (SPDS) transmission allows the driver to experience instantaneous acceleration. In the M-position, the transmission takes as little as 0.1 seconds per shift, enabling the driver to enjoy genuine sporting performance.
- Active Sound Control (ASC) combines the natural noise of the vehicle with artificially produced sound in a new, advanced four-speaker system (two speakers in front and two behind) that provides more powerful engine and exhaust noises3.
Exceptional performance that thrives on the track
- In order to achieve superior body stiffness, the GS F makes use of the latest Lexus body technologies. These include laser welding, an increase in the number of spot welding points, high-stiffness glass adhesives, and laser screw welding. The vehicle achieves high body rigidity well suited to the track due to a front brace and rear body brace with improved stiffness, which are attached to the body through additional fastening structures.
- The GS F utilizes an engine under-cover with a flat, streamlined surface and the vehicle achieves outstanding aerodynamic performance through improvements to the streamlining of the under floor, such as by optimizing the angle of the rear floor under-cover. In addition, the attachment of aero-stabilizing fins to each section of the under-cover actively directs airflow to guarantee superb driving stability.
- The brakes use opposing six-piston aluminum mono-block calipers on the front, and opposing four-piston aluminum mono-block calipers on the rear. By increasing the diameter of the master cylinder and by optimizing pedal ratios, the brakes achieve superb responsiveness and linear stopping performance. They also guarantee high rigidity and anti-fading performance through the use of high-friction pads. The high-performance brakes can be emphasized by selecting optional front and rear orange brake calipers, exclusively available on the F series.
- The GS F's suspension parts have been redesigned with the aim of achieving the ideal geometry. The steering response has been improved by retaining high suspension rigidity, optimizing roll stiffness, and by harmonizing these with the steering system.
- The Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD) torque control system is equipped as standard and provides optimal electronic control of the torque of the left and right rear wheels according to the driving situation, achieving ideal vehicle behavior during cornering. The GS F comes with three modes-Standard, Slalom, and Circuit-to provide superior cornering under a broad range of situations, from driving on ordinary roads to circuit driving.
- Expert Mode, part of the Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system, allows drivers to hone their circuit driving skills. In this mode, VDIM is almost fully disengaged and only intervenes to prevent loss of control. VDIM has further evolved through integration of TVD with the Anti-lock Braking System, which uses vertical acceleration sensors, to deliver both high vehicle stability and an enjoyable ride.
An exterior design that is the ultimate in functional beauty
- The exterior of the GS F exudes dynamism and functional beauty: the front view emphasizes a wide stance with a low center of gravity; from the side, the substantial overhang of the fender flares underscores the high performance of the V8 unit; the rear of the vehicle boasts the four-way exhaust diffuser that symbolizes the F series.
- The large front spindle grille and large air ducts ensure engine-cooling performance sufficient even for the severest of circuits, while the L-shaped side air outlets-which represent the F series-guarantee outstanding driving stability.
- The lower grille moldings and rear spoiler utilize carbon parts that lower weight and increase stiffness, contributing to the effective generation of downforce.
- The GS F features the black lacquer plated grille molding exclusive to the F series. In addition, the center pillar and outer mirrors are painted a dark, glossy metallic hue that is coordinated with the color of the wheels to emphasize the sporty character of the F series.
- The newly designed, 19-inch polished aluminum wheels are first forged, then subjected to three-dimensional cutting, enabling elaborate spokes to be used in a layered structure.
An interior design that fuses performance and luxury
- The high-back sports seats fitted in the front of the GS F are manufactured through an integrated foaming technique, and have been designed to resemble form-fitting athletic sportswear in order to support and cosset occupants. The seats provide both the high performance required on a track as well as the comfort needed for general driving. The specially crafted rear seats share design characteristics with the high-back sports seats used in the front, including the same distinctive sewing and stitching patterns.
- The genuine-leather steering wheel has a thickness and grip perfected through repeated track outings by Lexus test drivers. The large paddle-shift levers are designed to be operated while holding the steering wheel, even when cornering. The steering wheel and shift knob employ three-color overlock stitching in white, black, and blue4-colors that symbolize the F series.
- The GS F utilizes aluminum sports pedals and foot rests, while the slit patterns linked to the arcs described by the pedals when depressed have been newly developed. The performance demanded of each of the pedals has been enhanced.
- The large-diameter instrument panel is located in the center of the dashboard and displays essential driving data. The data content displayed on the large diameter LCD center meter changes according to which of the four drive modes-Eco, Normal, Sports S, and Sports S+-is selected, while sports driving is supported through a carefully thought-out, easy-to-use multi-information display.
- The optional color heads-up display (HUD) allows the driver to view necessary information swiftly and without the need for excessive eye movement. On top of fundamental information such as speed and basic mapping, in Sports Mode, the HUD also provides data on engine rpms and shift position.
- The gauge hoods, upper part of the instrument panel, center console, palm rest, and door trim armrests are finished in Alcantara 5 in a design that combines the performance of a premium sports model with the feel of a luxury interior. In addition, the surface of the instrument panel features four rivet plates bearing the Lexus logo, which were used in the LFA and are a symbol of Lexus sports.
- The foldable rear center armrest is equipped with cup holder, storage box, and control panel to manage air conditioning, audio, and electric rear window sunshades.
- The genuine aluminum ornament panel-in Naguri finish, medium-silver-is produced using Naguri6 machining techniques that have been recreated with the latest production technologies and workmanship. Carbon and forged composite carbon are available as options.
Lexus Safety System + active safety package
- Lexus Safety System + is a package of multi-faceted, active safety technologies that includes a host of features: Pre-collision System (PCS) with pedestrian detection function; Lane Departure Alert (LDA), a system that alerts the driver if the vehicle is drifting from its lane; Adaptive Hi-beam System (AHS)7, which selectively blocks sections of high beams that might interfere with the vision of preceding and on-coming vehicles, and contributes to the early detection of pedestrians at night; and Radar Cruise Control (with brake control), a system for use on highways which ensures that a safe distance is maintained from the preceding vehicle.
Exhilarating performance: the "F" series
Sports car performance was first fused with the charm of a sedan in the IS F and these values have been further developed in the GS F. There are now two F series models: the GS F and the RC F coupe. The RC F coupe highlights the sports car appeal of the F series and-as the model on which Lexus motorsports race cars are based-symbolizes the high performance of the series. The GS F embodies the philosophy of the F series in a more practical four-door model and further enhances the exhilaration of driving an F series Lexus.
Since its debut in 1989, Lexus has earned a worldwide reputation for high-quality products and exemplary customer service. Lexus is the hybrid leader among luxury brands, offering hybrids that provide the best in innovative technology and premier luxury. The evolution of Lexus is reflected in the progressive designs of its new vehicles. The grille, dynamic light treatments, and sculptured lines create a distinctive look of luxury for Lexus. For more information, please visit www.lexus-int.com and www.lexus-int.com/news/.
Toyota Motor Corporation
Public Affairs Division
Global Communications Department
Nov 25, 2015 11:43 HKT/SGT
Topic: Press release summary
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2017 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
|Lexus Brings 'F' Series Exhilaration to the GS Sedan|
|Mar 24, 2017 15:00 HKT/SGT|
Lexus Debuts in India with A Hybrid-Focused Line-Up |
|Mar 16, 2017 12:51 HKT/SGT|
Lexus Launches the New 'LC' Luxury Coupe|
|Mar 7, 2017 18:00 HKT/SGT|
World Premiere of the All-New Lexus LS 500h|
|Sept 23, 2016 08:05 HKT/SGT|
Lexus UX Concept Introduces Radical Immersive 3-D Driving Experience|
|Aug 10, 2016 15:13 HKT/SGT|
'Yet' is Creative Muse for Lexus Design Award 2017 - Now Open for Entries|
|Aug 9, 2016 12:59 HKT/SGT|
Lexus International Mid-Year 2016 Report|
|Feb 18, 2016 18:00 HKT/SGT|
World Premiere of the All New Lexus LC 500h features Next-Generation Lexus Multi Stage Hybrid System and All New Platform|
|Feb 17, 2016 16:00 HKT/SGT|
Lexus "Anticipation" at Milan Design Week 2016|
|Feb 15, 2016 16:30 HKT/SGT|
Lexus at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show|
|Feb 2, 2016 17:00 HKT/SGT|
Lexus International 2015 Year in Review|
|More news >>|