TOKYO, Sept 8, 2017 - (JCN Newswire) - NEC Corporation announced today the release of its Annual Environmental Report 2017 and its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report 2017, reflecting the activities and the achievements supporting the Environment, Society and Government (ESG) from April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017 (hereafter FY2017).
The Annual Environmental Report shares common purpose with global environmental movements such as the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals(1), and highlights NEC's Long-Term Environmental Plan (NEC Group Environmental Management Action Plan 2020/2030) announced in July 2016(2), as well as the progress towards environmental management goals announced in July 2014(3) as part of addressing climate change.
The CSR Report provides an outline of activities and goals in pursuit of sustainable management, focusing on society and governance. As society's expectations towards global enterprises such as NEC increase, NEC has begun to prioritize sustainable development in cooperation with experts in the field, including activities that address human rights and supply chain management. Please see below for further detail on these initiatives.
1. Progress for the NEC Group Environmental Management Action Plan 2020/2030
NEC is focusing on the following three areas in order to address environmental issues and implement climate change countermeasures.
1) Contributing to mitigation of climate change:
- Reduction in CO2 emissions through the provision of IT solutions
- Cumulative reduction of 14 million tons in FY2017 (Target: 23 million tons in 2020)
- Improvement in product energy efficiency (compared with products in FY2014)
- Improvement rate of 30% in FY2017 (Target: 30% improvement in 2020)
2) Reducing the impact of climate change:
NEC promoted solutions to reduce the impact of climate change in FY2017, including the creation of three Eco-Symbol Star solutions.
3) Reduction of emissions from business activities:
- Improve CO2 emissions through higher product energy efficiency and switching to renewable energy sources.
9.5% improvement in FY2017 compared with in FY2013 (Target: 18% improvement in 2020 compared with FY2013)
- Switch to renewable energy.
- 6.9-fold increase in FY2017 compared with FY2012 (Target: 10-fold increase in 2020 compared with FY2012)
2. Progress on achieving climate change objectives for FY2021's goals(3)
In FY2017, NEC contributed to reducing CO2 emissions by attaining a level of CO2 reduction that is 2.4 times(4) the total volume of CO2 emissions from our entire supply chain in FY2017 by providing Solutions for Society. (Target in FY2021: 5 times.)
Activities for society and governance
NEC prioritizes the sustainable development of both society and the NEC Group under the theme of "materiality." As part of this, NEC has been improving performance outside of the financial field and ensuring the soundness of management. Within this transforming business environment, and corresponding to the expectations of society, NEC started to review materiality in FY2017 and to reconfirm its contributions.
NEC's CSR Report features dialogue between experts, NEC executives and employees on sustainable management, society and investment in order to capitalize on this knowledge and improve sustainable management.
The NEC Group globally provides "Solutions for Society" that promote safety, security, efficiency and equality, helping to create a society where people live more fulfilling lives through the fusion of advanced ICT and knowledge.
(1) Sustainable Development Goals consist of 17 goals on issues such as poverty, hunger, energy, climate change and peace. Efforts to attain these goals started in 2015 through 2030 after they were adopted by 193 member states at the United Nations Summit held in September 2015.
(2) NEC's Long-Term Environmental Plan (NEC Group Environmental Management Action Plan 2020/2030)
(3) NEC Announces New Environmental Management target reflecting climate change reduction measures through the Social Solutions business. (Press release on 8 July 2014)
(4) Please refer to the following calculation formula.
Calculation: ((2)14 million tons + (3)4.53 million tons) / (1)7.76million tons
(1) Impact of the environment for the total supply chain (Scope 1, 2, 3): 7.76 million tons.
(2) Contributing to mitigation of climate change: 14 million-tons.
(3) Contribution to reducing climate change(*): 4.53 million tons
*The result is not the real volume of the reduced CO2 but the value of CO2 after adaptation.
About NEC Corporation
NEC Corporation is a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people around the world. By providing a combination of products and solutions that cross utilize the company's experience and global resources, NEC's advanced technologies meet the complex and ever-changing needs of its customers. NEC brings more than 100 years of expertise in technological innovation to empower people, businesses and society. For more information, visit NEC at http://www.nec.com.
Based on its Mid-term Management Plan 2015, the NEC Group globally provides "Solutions for Society" that promote the safety, security, efficiency and equality of society. Under the company's corporate message of "Orchestrating a brighter world," NEC aims to help solve a wide range of challenging issues and to create new social value for the changing world of tomorrow. For more information, please visit http://www.nec.com/en/global/about/solutionsforsociety/message.html.
Sept 8, 2017 14:06 HKT/SGT
Source: NEC Corporation
NEC Corporation (TSE: 6701)
Topic: Press release summary
Sectors: Enterprise IT
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2017 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
|Nov 16, 2017 16:43 HKT/SGT|
NEC Supplies TOP500 Supercomputer to Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz in Germany|
|Nov 15, 2017 12:51 HKT/SGT|
NEC Launches LoRaWAN Compliant Network Server|
|Nov 14, 2017 11:29 HKT/SGT|
NEC Announces Expanded Footprint in Washington, D.C.|
|Nov 8, 2017 10:51 HKT/SGT|
NEC Improves Workplace Efficiency with AR Solution Utilizing Smart Glasses|
|Nov 8, 2017 08:34 HKT/SGT|
NEC and Libelium Partner to Develop IoT Solutions|
|Nov 2, 2017 17:32 HKT/SGT|
NEC Defines the Future of Travel at FTE Asia EXPO 2017|
|Oct 27, 2017 10:10 HKT/SGT|
NEC to Provide Qatar's Ooredoo Group with Microwave Communications and IP/MPLS Systems|
|Oct 26, 2017 16:26 HKT/SGT|
NEC Reinforces Cyber Security for ASEAN Administration|
|Oct 25, 2017 23:45 HKT/SGT|
NEC Releases New High-end HPC Product Line, SX-Aurora TSUBASA|
|Oct 17, 2017 13:08 HKT/SGT|
"MSS Forum" Launched to Promote the Establishment of a De Facto Standard for Olfactory IoT Sensing Systems|
|More news >>|