|Tuesday, 12 September 2017, 18:35 HKT/SGT|
|Also partial redesign to Land Cruiser Prado and launch of FJ Cruiser with special specifications|
Toyota City, Japan, Sept 12, 2017 - (JCN Newswire) - Toyota will reintroduce Hilux into the Japanese market after a 13 year hiatus, and make a partial redesign to Land Cruiser Prado, both of which will be launched through Toyota dealers(1) across Japan on September 12. In addition, special specifications have been designed for FJ Cruiser, which will be launched through Toyota dealers across Japan on October 16.
Since its first launch in 1968, Hilux has been sold in approximately 180 countries and regions worldwide. It enjoys popularity around the world, with cumulative global sales reaching 17.3 million units(2).
In introducing Hilux to the Japanese market, Masahiko Maeda, chief development engineer, said, "Sales in Japan ended in 2004, but there are still around 9,000 owners, mainly using them for work, and many people have called for its reintroduction. We especially hope to provide for the needs of such customers."
"Furthermore, I would like to propose to customers not only the functional value of objects but also their conceptual value, in terms of special experiences and time gained by their possessing. We realize that for various practical reasons, Hilux can be a difficult vehicle to choose--for example, being a Class 1 vehicle, it requires annual inspection, and it is subject to slightly higher expressway tolls."
"However, I believe that Hilux is a vehicle that embodies the joy of possessing distinctive objects which is due to its dignified appearance, together with a toughness forged in the real world. Furthermore, we hope to express an active lifestyle for baby boomers, a customer segment that want to enjoy an active life."
In addition to the advanced exterior which further strengthened its power and innovation, Land Cruiser Prado has evolved through the inclusion of the Toyota Safety Sense P collision avoidance assist package as standard in all grades. With the FJ Cruiser, we designate this special specification as the "Final Edition," and adopted a unique beige throughout the vehicle--both for exterior and interior, thereby enhancing its modernity.
Special specification "Final Edition" (options shown), Hilux Z grade, Land Cruiser Prado TZ-G grade (options shown)
- The exterior expresses concepts of "tough yet emotional" with power and vigor. The interior features silver highlights throughout, and unified blue illumination, producing a sense of sophistication. For the exterior panels, five colors were selected, including Nebula Blue Metallic, and Crimson Spark Red Metallic, while the interior is black.
- It is equipped with a 2GD-FTV 2.4L diesel engine. Besides providing power performance demonstrating high torque even in the low revolution range, it also achieves excellent environmental performance through high heat efficiency. Not only does it achieve fuels efficiency of 11.8 km/L.
- It has been fitted with collision avoidance assist type pre-crash safety(2) with pedestrian detection function to recognize pedestrians as well as cars. Furthermore, lane departure alert(2) is installed to help prevent deviation from the traffic lane.
- It is equipped with a part-time 4WD system that allows the driver to select a driving mode with a dial operation designed with in consideration of safety factors. It is a two-wheel drive which boasts superior quietness and fuel efficiency performance, for driving in urban areas and on expressways, which can be switched to 4-wheel drive on rough terrain and slippery roads, thus combining comfort and performance. Also, driving power can be adjusted to suit the road conditions by using Hill-start Assist Control and Active Traction Control(2), or Downhill Assist Control(2). As a genuine 4WD vehicle, it has realized high driving performance for both on-road and off-road.
- It adopts a suspension system that boosts vibration damping in addition to a high strength frame that ensures excellent running stability and driving comfort both on-road and off-road.
- By setting the steel bumper at a low deck position, passengers can get up and down when loading and unloading. A large hand grip helps passengers to get in and out more easily.
Land Cruiser Prado
- The new exterior design further enhances strength and innovation
- The front adopts a hood-center shape that takes visibility into account, and exudes power by combining the large front grill and headlamps. Other new specifications include LEDs for the headlamps in all cars, and 19-inch aluminum wheels (machine-cut highlights and dark gray metallic paintwork)(3).
- The rear design represses protrusion of the combination lamp, and realizes a more stable positioning by modifying the garnish design.
- The interior has a more advanced design, in particular for the instrument panel
- Lowering the upper part of the air vent ring (air conditioning outlet) has improved visibility. In addition, the navigation has a thin, tablet-style design that emphasizes its modernity. Metal highlights have been added to the center cluster and meter panels to enhance the feel of high quality.
- The steering wheel is designed in consideration of ease of grip, and its unique decoration enhances a sense of unity with the instrument panel.
- It supports safe driving through inclusion of the "Toyota Safety Sense P" collision avoidance assist package and Drive-start Control as standard features, together with the new addition of the Blind Spot Monitor(4).
- The exterior panels adopt a total of nine colors including the new Blackish Ageha Glass Flake (optional) and Avant Garde Bronze Metallic. The interior specifications adopt two colors including Neutral Beige.
- For the first time, the Land Cruiser series uses Torsen5 LSD for the rear differential and the option to select between five driving modes (NORMAL, ECO, COMFORT, SPORT S, SPORT S +) to suit the driving conditions, included as standard on the TZ - G, to enhance driving pleasure.
- The diesel vehicle grade system has been revised, with the addition of a 7-seater to "TX" and a 5-seater to TX "L package.
- This special "Final Edition" specification adopts unique beige for the exterior color, together with the seat upholstery, and the center cluster garnish. Furthermore, black paintwork has been used extensively in the interior and exterior, and special 20-inch aluminum wheels and side steps have been used, adding to the appeal.
Toyota dealers throughout Japan (Land Cruiser Prado: through Osaka Toyopet Co., Ltd. in that region)
2. Sales target for Japan:
Hilux - 2,000 units / year
Land Cruiser Prado - 1,800 units / month
FJ Cruiser - 200 units / month
3. Dealer launch events:
October 21 and 22
Hilux: Ban Pho Plant, Toyota Motor Thailand Co., Ltd.
Land Cruiser Prado, FJ Cruiser: Hamura Plant, Hino Motors Ltd.
(1) Under the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism's JC08 test cycle
(2) Standard inclusion for "Z"
(3) Standard for the "TZ-G," optional for the TX "L package"
(4) Optional for the "TZ-G" and the TX "L package"
(5) Torsen is a trademark of JTEKT Corporation
Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) is the global mobility company that introduced the Prius hybrid-electric car in 1997 and the first mass-produced fuel cell sedan, Mirai, in 2014. Headquartered in Toyota City, Japan, Toyota has been making cars since 1937. Today, Toyota proudly employs 370,000 employees in communities around the world. Together, they build around 10 million vehicles per year in 29 countries, from mainstream cars and premium vehicles to mini-vehicles and commercial trucks, and sell them in more than 170 countries under the brands Toyota, Lexus, Daihatsu and Hino. For more information, please visit www.toyota-global.com.
Public Affairs Division
Global Communications Department
Toyota Motor Corporation
Sept 12, 2017 18:35 HKT/SGT
Topic: Press release summary
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2018 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
|Special specification "Final Edition" (options shown), Hilux Z grade, Land Cruiser Prado TZ-G grade (options shown)|
|Mar 16, 2018 13:06 HKT/SGT|
Toyota Accelerates Use of Hydrogen at its Plants|
|Mar 14, 2018 09:09 HKT/SGT|
Toyota: Growing Momentum for Hydrogen as Further Multinationals Join Global Coalition|
|Mar 12, 2018 12:04 HKT/SGT|
Toyota: A Clean Sweep on the Final Day for the Yaris WRC|
|Mar 8, 2018 16:32 HKT/SGT|
Toyota: Ade Adepitan / Mallory Weggemann / Sama Bullock / Martyn Sibley Announce Crowdsourcing Campaign to Find Ideas for $4 Million Mobility Unlimited Challenge|
|Mar 8, 2018 15:17 HKT/SGT|
Toyota Supports 25 Para Athletes from 12 Countries at PyeongChang Paralympic Winter Games 2018|
|Mar 6, 2018 18:09 HKT/SGT|
Toyota: The Legend Returns|
|Mar 2, 2018 14:46 HKT/SGT|
Toyota Research Institute-Advanced Development (TRI-AD) Established in Tokyo to Provide Fully-Integrated, Production-Quality Software for Automated Driving|
|Feb 27, 2018 13:15 HKT/SGT|
Toyota Announces Results for January 2018|
|Feb 26, 2018 15:37 HKT/SGT|
Toyota at the 2018 Geneva International Motor Show|
|Feb 26, 2018 15:01 HKT/SGT|
Features of Toyota's New Powertrain|
|More news >>|