HONG KONG, Mar 11, 2018 - (ACN Newswire) - Dr Lui Che-woo, Chairman of K. Wah Group (the "Group"), has been appointed by Peking University as an Honorary Trustee in recognition of his contributions to the development of the university as well as his efforts to the promotion of world civilisation and advancement of mankind.
Dr Lui Che-woo said, "I am honoured to be appointed as an Honorary Trustee of Peking University, and would like to extend my heartiest appreciation to the University for such recognition which is by all means an invaluable encouragement to me." As a firm believer in 'giving back to the society from which it benefits', Dr Lui is committed to supporting education and promoting world civilisation. Just as education is key to building a strong nation, promoting benevolence and peace are fundamental to building a better world and encouraging civilisation's upward advancement.
Professor Lin Jian Hua, President of Peking University, said, "Dr Lui has been a passionate advocate of tertiary education development in China over the years, and I appreciate his altruistic support and contributions to Peking University, particularly our School of Life Sciences in the past years. We share Dr Lui's care for civilisation development and the welfare of mankind. We hope that, as an Honorary Trustee of the university, Dr. Lui will continue to share his valuable opinion on the university's future development so as to drive it becomes one of the top institutions in the world, and eventually contributes to the progress of our country and world civilisation."
Honorary Trustee is part of the community participation programme for the development of Peking University. The honour is bestowed on distinguished individuals, who have a strong reputation in their respective industry and have made significant contributions to Peking University. It is a means by which the university is able to recognise and express its gratitude to them.
As a staunch supporter of traditional values that promote benevolence and peace, Dr Lui Che-woo is devoted to promoting altruism and the well-being of mankind. In 2015, he founded the "LUI Che Woo Prize - Prize for World Civilisation" to recognise and honour individuals or organisations who have selflessly dedicated themselves to the nurturing and enrichment of world civilisation, including sustainable development of the world, betterment of the welfare of mankind; and promotion of positive life attitude and enhancement of positive energy. Last year, Dr Lui donated RMB120 million to the School of Life Sciences of Peking University for setting up the Lui Che Woo School of Life Sciences Fund, which will support the construction of a new life sciences research building as well as the development of the School of Life Sciences of Peking University. Dr Lui hopes all tertiary institutions in China to continue their pursuit of far-reaching and innovative research, and nurture more scientific talent both in China and around the world in order to contribute to the well-being of mankind and make further progress in life sciences development in the future.
With the belief of "education engenders a strong country", Dr Lui Che-woo sponsors universities in Mainland China, Hong Kong and overseas to establish scholarships, build teaching facilities, support research, promote academic exchange, enhance educational facilities and nurture talent development for the community. Recent major philanthropy projects include the following:
- The Ministry of Education of PRC - reconstruction and renovation of 122 primary and secondary schools in 8 provinces
- China Europe International Business School Beijing Campus - Lui Che Woo Lecture Theatre
- Fudan University, Shanghai - a member of the board of directors for over 20 years, supporting the construction of Lui Che Woo Hall, Lui Che Woo Building and other teaching facilities, sponsoring the Chinese MBA programme in Hong Kong
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University - K. Wah City Governance Research Fund in support of the establishment of K. Wah Big Data Center
- Wuyi University, Jiangmen - one of the founding sponsors; Administrative Building, Shiyou Building, Lui Che-woo Technology Building, Lui Che-woo Hall, Education Foundation Building, sports facilities, Education Fund, Lui Che-woo Outstanding New Students Scholarship
- South China University of Technology, Guangzhou - Lui Che Woo Scholarship
- Nanjing University - sports facilities
- Jia Hui Cheng School, Guangzhou and K. Wah Education Fund
- Virya Foundation - sponsoring university students in rural villages in Mainland China to complete 4 to 5 years of undergraduate programmes
- Guangzhou Education Fund and Guangxi Education Foundation for the Underprivileged
- Peking University - appointed as Honorary Trustee of Peking University; setting up the Lui Che Woo School of Life Sciences Fund to support the development of the School of Life Sciences of Peking University and the construction of a new Life Sciences research building to be named as the "Lui Che Woo Building"
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong - Lui Che Woo Institute of Innovative Medicine, Lui Che Woo Clinical Sciences Building, Dr Lui Che Woo Distinguished Professorship Scheme, Lui Che Woo Distinguished Young Scholars Award, Lui Che Woo Distinguished Young Scholars Research Scholarship, School of Hotel and Tourism Management, Title Sponsor of K. Wah Hotel Forum
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - School of Hotel and Tourism Management "Lui Che Woo Hotel and Tourism Resource Centre"; Lui Che Woo Building, Dr and Mrs Lui Che Woo Centre for the Knee, East-Meets-West in Tele-rehabilitation Centre, K. Wah Scholarship
- The University of Hong Kong - Lui Che Woo Law Library
- The University of Macau - Lui Che Woo College in Hengqin Campus, Zhuhai, Development Foundation
- Stanford University, USA - Lui Che Woo Research Laboratory, School of Medicine
- University of California, USA - San Francisco Medical School
- University of Pennsylvania, USA - General Fund
- California Polytechnic State University, USA - General Fund
- Concordia University, Canada - Dr Lui Che Woo Scholarship
- University of Victoria, Canada
About K. Wah Group
K. Wah Group was founded in 1955 by Dr Lui Che-woo, who transformed the company into a multinational corporation. Core businesses include property development and investment, entertainment and leisure resorts, hospitality and construction materials. The Group has a business presence in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Southeast Asia and major cities in the US. The Group includes two Hong Kong-listed flagships: K. Wah International Holdings Limited ("KWIH"; HK stock code: 0173) and Galaxy Entertainment Group Limited ("GEG"; HK stock code: 0027 and a member of the Hang Seng Index). Other major subsidiaries include Stanford Hotels International and K. Wah Construction Materials Limited and, in the US, Stanford Hotels Corporation and Cresleigh Homes. To date, the Group has over 200 subsidiaries and more than 33,000 staff worldwide.
K. Wah International Holdings Limited
Shelly Cheng Tel: (852) 2880 1853 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rita Lai Tel: (852) 2960 3386 Email: email@example.com
Fax: (852) 2811 9710
Strategic Financial Relations Limited
Iris Lee Tel: (852) 2864 4829 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maggie Au Tel: (852) 2864 4815 Email: email@example.com
Fax: (852) 2527 1196
Mar 11, 2018 19:19 HKT/SGT
Topic: Press release summary
Sectors: Daily Finance, Daily News
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.
|Dr Lui Che-woo, Chairman of K. Wah Group, has been appointed by Peking University as an Honorary Trustee|
|Group photo of Dr Lui Che-woo, Chairman of K. Wah Group (8th from the right on the second row), Professor Zhu Shanlu, Chairman, Peking University Council (7th from the right on the second row) and students of Peking University|
|Dr Lui Che-woo, Chairman of K. Wah Group, donated RMB120 million to the School of Life Sciences of Peking University last year for setting up the Lui Che Woo School of Life Sciences Fund, which will support the construction of a new life sciences research building as well as the development of the School of Life Sciences of Peking University|