SINGAPORE, Jan 4, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - Singapore Exchange (SGX) posted year-on-year increases in its derivatives, commodities and clearing activities in December while securities trading declined.
- Turnover fell 41% to $17 billion while securities daily average value traded was 36% lower at $794 million.
- Exchange traded fund turnover declined 18% to $640 million.
- Volume was up 6% at 5.1 million contracts while daily average volume increased 8% to 241,783 contracts.
- China A50 futures trading more than doubled to 342,825 contracts, Nifty futures activity rose 28% to 1.1 million contracts and MSCI Taiwan futures volume was 8% up at 1.2 million contracts.
Commodities and clearing
- Trading of agricultural commodity futures rose 6% to 17,263 contracts as participation in SICOM rubber futures continued to grow.
- Volume of OTC commodity contracts cleared was 8% up at 12,369 contracts; clearing of iron ore swaps was over three times that of a year earlier at 7,453 contracts.
- OTC interest rate swaps cleared totalled a notional $186 billion since the November 2010 launch of the service; volume cleared in December was $1.3 billion, down 68%.
- Bond listings totalled $8.3 billion, up 49%. The biggest listings were KDDI Corporation's 190-billion-yen 2015 convertible bond, Tencent Holdings' US$600 million 2016 senior note and Hana Bank's US$500 million 2017 note.
SGX Statistics At A Glance
Nov 2011 Dec 2011
Number of Trading Days (Securities) 21 21
Securities market Turnover Volume (mil shares) 24,512 15,107
Securities market Turnover Value ($mil) 25,394 16,665
Securities Daily Average ($mil) 1,209 794
Derivatives Volume 5,825,262 5,149,090
Derivatives Daily Average Volume 281,038 241,783
Total Number of Listed Securities 775 773
Total Market Capitalisation ($mil) 783,892 775,780
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia's most international exchange with about 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world's biggest offshore market for Asian equity index futures, centred on Asia's three largest economies - China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia's pioneering central clearing house. Headquartered in Asia's most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore's island nation, SGX is a leading Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products. For more information, please visit www.sgx.com.
Tel: +65 6236 8139
Email: [email protected]
Loh Wei Ling
Tel: +65 6236 8157
Email: [email protected]
Jan 4, 2012 20:33 HKT/SGT
Source: Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Topic: Production report
Sectors: Daily Finance, Daily News
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2019 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.