Singapore, May 4, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - Singapore Exchange (SGX) today said derivatives and clearing volumes grew in April from a year earlier but securities activity declined.
1. Securities turnover was 27% lower year-on-year at S$23.5 billion; securities daily average value (SDAV) declined 27% to S$1.2 billion. Compared with March 2012, SDAV was 10% down.
2. Catalist turnover was S$998 million, six times that of a year earlier and up 61% from March 2012.
3. Daily average outstanding loans under the securities borrowing and lending programme totalled S$26.9 million, up 39% from a year earlier.
4. Bond issues totalled 37 raising S$17.4 billion versus 38 issues raising S$18.6 billion a year earlier. The biggest issues were Indonesia's US$2 billion 10-year note, Korea National Oil Corporation's US$1 billion five-year note and Samsung Electronics America Inc's US$1 billion 5-year note.
1. Derivatives volume rose 29% year-on-year to 6.3 million contracts; daily average volume (DAV) grew 28% to 322,213 contracts. On a month-on-month basis, DAV fell 9%.
2. China A50 futures volume more than tripled to 595,334 contracts while trading of Nikkei 225 futures grew 29% to 2.4 million contracts. MSCI Taiwan futures volume was 18% up at 1.5 million contracts and India's Nifty futures grew 6% to 1.1 million contracts.
3. SICOM rubber futures trading was up 27% at 14,157 contracts.
1. Volume of commodity contracts cleared grew 40% year-on-year to 13,974 contracts; iron ore swaps volume more than doubled to 7,646 contracts and sub-bitumen coal swaps activity also more than doubled to 635 contracts.
2. Volume of interest rate swaps cleared rose 11% year-on-year to S$45.7 billion, bringing the cumulative volume since the November 2010 launch to S$258.4 billion. Volume of new IRS transactions cleared doubled to S$11.3 billion from a year earlier.
SGX Statistics at a Glance
Mar 2012 Apr 2012
Number of Trading Days (Securities) 22 20
Securities market Turnover Volume (mil shares) 36,857 64,348
Securities market Turnover Value ($million) 28,795 23,534
Securities Daily Average ($million) 1,309 1,177
Derivatives Volume 7,548,621 6,279,237
Derivatives Daily Average Volume 353,683 322,213
Total Number of Listed Securities 768 769
Total Market Capitalisation ($million) 870,865 861,275
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia's most internationalised exchange with more than 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world's biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures market, centred on Asia's three largest economies - China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia's pioneering central clearing house. Headquartered in Asia's most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore's island nation, SGX is a peerless Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products. For more information, please visit www.sgx.com .
Tel: +65 6236 8139
Tel: +65 6236 8658
May 4, 2012
Source: Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Topic: Production report
Sectors: Financial General, Business General
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2013 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.