Singapore, July 4, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - Singapore Exchange (SGX) today said derivatives, commodities and clearing activities grew in June from a year earlier while securities turnover was lower.
- In June, securities turnover fell 25% year-on-year and 18% month-on-month to S$21.2 billion; securities daily average value declined 21% year-on-year and 14% month-on-month to S$1.0 billion.
- June ETF turnover was 56% lower year-on-year at S$350 million while GlobalQuote activity was down 17% to S$97 million.
- For the financial year to end-June (FY2012), SDAV was S$1.3 billion, down 19% from a year earlier.
- In FY2012, ETF turnover fell 23% to S$7.3 billion while GlobalQuote trading declined 73% to S$1.4 billion.
- Derivatives volume was up 7% year-on-year at 6.6 million contracts in June; derivatives daily average volume grew 12% to 314,055 contracts.
- In June, China A50 futures trading doubled year-on-year to 669,752 contracts and Nikkei 225 futures volume was up 9% at 2.6 million contracts. MSCI Taiwan futures activity fell 13% to 1.4 million contracts while Nifty futures trading fell 8% to 1.2 million contracts. Nikkei 225 options volume grew 73% to 252,340 contracts.
- In FY2012, derivatives daily average volume grew 15% to 307,991 contracts.
- In FY2012, China A50 futures volume more than tripled to 5.6 million contracts while Nikkei 225 futures trading slid 1.3% to 28.9 million contracts. MSCI Taiwan futures activity grew 12% to 17.8 million contracts and Nifty futures trading increased 19% to 15.0 million contracts.
- Total open interest for all our equity index and interest-rate futures, and equity index option contracts was up 33% as at the end of FY2012.
- Bond listings totalled S$11 billion in June, up 47% from a year earlier.
- SICOM rubber futures volume grew 38% year-on-year and 20% month-on-month in June to 28,859 contracts.
- SGX AsiaClear cleared 21,347 commodity contracts in June, up 90% year-on-year but down 13% from May.
- In FY2012, SICOM rubber futures trading rose 27% to 259,928 contracts while clearing volume for commodity contracts grew 52%.
Clearing of financial derivatives
- New OTC interest rate swap transactions cleared was S$8.1 billion notional in June, up 70% year-on-year.
- Since the start of IRS clearing in November 2010, SGX has cleared a total S$273 billion notional of IRS.
SGX Statistics At A Glance
May 2012 Jun 2012
Number of Trading Days (Securities) 22 21
Securities market Turnover Volume (mil shares) 39,859 26,028
Securities market Turnover Value ($mil) 25,752 21,207
Securities Daily Average ($mil) 1,171 1,010
Derivatives Volume 6,920,856 6,558,191
Derivatives Daily Average Volume 320,715 314,055
Total Number of Listed Securities 770 769
Total Market Capitalisation ($mil) 822,248 841,959
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia's most internationalised exchange with more than 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world's biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures market, centred on Asia's three largest economies - China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia's pioneering central clearing house. Headquartered in Asia's most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore's island nation, SGX is a peerless Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products. For more information, please visit www.sgx.com .
Tel: +65 6236 8139
Tel: +65 6236 8658
July 4, 2012
Source: Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Topic: Sales Results
Sectors: Financial General, Business General
From the Asia Corporate News Network
Copyright © 2013 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. A division of Asia Corporate News Network.